Vive Viver Route

'Vive Viver' offers you a quiet and relaxed tour. A marked path that will allow you to discover and learn in an active way the picturesque and rich heritage of the municipality of Viver. A brief tour, through which our common history represented in its buildings, monuments and streets, is permanently present in the unique and beautiful urban context that characterizes the town; where also the sound of water from its many fountains, and the friendly and cheerful treatment of its inhabitants, will attend the steps of the visitor.

The municipality of Viver is located in a privileged natural space. Its municipal district, is surrounded by the foothills of the mountains of the Iberian system (Javalambre), appears open to the Mediterranean sea through the winding channel of the river Palancia, main landform and spectacular natural space which dumped numerous streams and springs scattered throughout the territory. In addition, the municipality is located in the historical and ancient natural passage from the coast to inland, a strategic border point between the ancient kingdoms of Valencia and Aragon.

 

mapa

SELECT A PLACE OF INTEREST TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT

  3    Garrón Fountain
  6    Las Eras Lavoir
  7    La Teja Fountain
  8    Comuneros irrigation ditch. Lavoir.
  9    Duke of Calabria Fountain
 10   Stately home, XVI century
 11   Ancient cube-winery Alonso
 12   San Antonio Abad Fountain
 18   Chorrillo Fountain
 19   Pontón Lavoir

 

 

  0   Plaza Mayor (Main Square)

The Plaza Mayor of Viver, construction began at the end of the Civil War, by Devastated Regions, and was inaugurated in 1945.

The buildings that form this square, including the town hall, are very sober and stone used profusely in sockets, arches, corners, and brick lining. The windows are large, new thing at the time it was built, because until that date, the houses had small windows.

Go to top

 

 

  1   Virgen de Gracia Church

The stunning architectural landmark that dominates the 'Plaza del Ángel' (Angel Square), the result of centuries of history. It seems documented that in 1367 the Christian settlers of Viver consecrate an ancient mosque as a Church also buying a bell to "call Catholic Christians the divine services ...". A year later, the bishop of Segorbe, appoints mossén Ximeno Rillo, first vicar of the new church erected in Viver, under the invocation and patronage of Our Lady (Nuestra Señora).

" ..it has built a parish church, which were formerly temples or mosques, (and ordered) the church has cemetery and baptismal font and all other rights of a parish church and a perpetual vicarious...."

The documentation retained of the sixteenth century testifies that the church is dedicated to Santa Maria, and can be deduced from it, that the building had a very characteristic layout of the time, rectangular, single nave, not emerging cruise and chapels between buttresses. According to the inscription, made by historian Francisco Diago, in the year 1608 it was built attached to the facade of the imposing Mannerist bell tower with 25 m. tall, solid and good work of masonry; quadrangular with large basement, plus three well-defined bodies, including the bells body. At the end of the century, in 1694, the construction of the Baroque chapel of the Communion begins, finalizing works in 1705. In the nineteenth century the building of the parish is extended by the increase in population, developing the aisles and cruises.

Inside, articulating the elevation, the central nave has a Corinthian fluted pilasters on pedestals, large cornice with denticles, barrel vault and lunettes with windows for interior lighting. The intersection of the nave and transept is covered with a vaulted ceiling. Interesting covers preserved wall paintings of the eighteenth century, with scenes from the life of Mary, attributed to the painter Rafael Posades. It is worth noting an interesting museum collection, located in the basement of the chapel of the Communion, with pieces of jewelry, painting and sculpture. It is worthy to be mentioned the baptismal font of 1568.

Go to top

 

 

  2   Hermitage of St. Bárbara and Los Huertos Portal

According to consists in an inscription outside, the chapel was founded in 1606 by the priest Antonio Barrachina, born in Viver. Originally this rectangular building with solid walls of masonry ashlar stones in corners and cover and gabled roof, presented unique ship of three sections and main chapel. The widening of the street meant the loss of the first section, at the foot of the temple, so sober and elegant Mannerist facade, with semicircular arch, niche and oculus above, it is displaced to one side of the building.

After the Christian conquest of Islamic territory from the hands of King James I, it was consolidated an emerging urban space at the top of the current population. It located in a strategic way, took advantage of the abundant water springs, dominated the cornice of the Huron River gorge in the area of La Floresta, as well as the natural passage between the interior and the coast. Initially it should be a small group of houses grouped self-enclosed, with narrow, steep and winding streets, some dead end and gateways to the interior. A few meters, the site 'Los Huertos' and their environment, remind us that characteristic medieval town planning, which prevailed same organic growth, and defensive character , so typical of swords and spears times.

Go to top

 

 

  4   Acient Cube-winery

Artistic historical building related to the cultivation of vineyards and winemaking. Throughout the centuries, since the Romans, and this has been reflected in the history of Viver, reaching its apotheosis in the second half of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century, time when the phylloxera reaches Viver ( 1915). The viti-wine production in Viver was the great economic axis around which the town grew, supported by the passage of the Camino Real (Royal Road).

Go to top

 

 

  5   Carlist city wall

This is a defensive structure. The First Carlist War lasted from 1833 to 1840, and had a huge impact on the population of Viver, in urban matters.
(...) It was fortified this v. (Village) with a provisional walls, entrance doors and some advanced and towers counting within its walls over 500 HOUSES 30 to 35 feet tall and good distribution inside (…)
Pascual Madoz
Politician and Finance Minister of Spain in 1855.

Go to top

 

 

 13  Ancient Hospital

The Christian commandment of love of neighbor saw the need to provide spiritual and material help to others. In Western Christian countries under the church and nobility, they will proliferate new institutions, hospitals, where, under a protective roof, poor, old, weak, sick, pilgrims and travelers could be assisted in their needs.

In 1656 Gavalda bishop wrote in his visit the existence of a hospital in Viver. This, two years earlier, he was quoted in a document with the name of San Antonio. Its existence is documented since October 1628. In September 1872 one of the baptized in the parish of Viver, came the hospital of this town. The hospital still existed in 1913.

Today presents a rundown absolutely disappeared, remains only this humble facade, apparently was one of the entrances to same, where we highlight lathed wooden bars of the window.

Go to top

 

 

 15  Asunción Fountain

Historian Francisco Diago was the instigator of the construction of this monument that commemorates the arrival of water to the municipality. It was built in 1608 and over the years has occupied different positions in the Constitution Square.

Its Baroque style is enhanced by its form of eucharistic chalice and topped by an image of the Assumption.

Go to top

 

 

 15  Old Town Hall

It was built by the town in 1786. (Sarthou Carreres in 1913 wrote: "The house of the City, 1786, located in the Constitution Square, is quite regular").
In this house the municipal government is exercised until the bombing of the Spanish Civil War in 1938.
At the building, the jail is also placed, until Confiscation of the Convent of San Francisco, Constitutional Triennium (1820-1823), which is moved to the convent.
As singular event, the King Fernando VII and his retinue, transit towards Valencia, reached Viver noon on Friday, April 15, 1814. The people of Viver received with great joy the king and offered a lunch in this Town Hall.

Go to top

 

 

 16  Church and Convent of Saint Francis of Paola

The first convent of the Order of Minimum Friars was founded in Viver next to the hermitage of San Miguel in 1603. Although according to Escolano historian, monks had already settled in 1535. On July 10, 1605, with the license from the Bishop of Segorbe, Don Feliciano de Figueroa, and the Father Prior of the Monastery "Jeronimo de San Miguel de los Reyes" of Valencia, as then owner of the Villa de Viver, the transfer of the monks produced this new building, located then outside the walls of the villa (scene represented on the panel of polychrome ceramic tiles, located outside of the wall side of the convent church).

After the confiscation, by the Order of February 20, 1821 the convent of religious Minimum Viver closes. At first he was transferred to the State and to the City Council latter, it was destined to first lesson school, and later was used as a court and prison. During the last decades of the twentieth century it housed the offices Agrarian Chamber and the Civil Guard barracks. Uses and substantial transformations that eventually they were deteriorating. Today it is in process for reconstruction.

As it is the home of a mendicant order, the building presents a monumental modesty that characterizes it. It retains a central cloister of square plant that connects with the church and articulates with the double corridor floor the three wings of convent building. The Church of San Francisco de Paula, 1607, was raised by Barberan from Rubielos de Mora (Teruel), renovated and rebuilt as being ex convent in 1852.

Go to top

 

 

 17  Rocha Palmera cube-winery

In 2012 a group of people from Viver begin, accompanied by the Universitat Jaume I from Castellón, a cultural project to meet and publish all this enormous cultural heritage related to wine which we can, even today, find important remains in Viver.

Throughout the centuries, from the Romans, the history of Viver has paralleled the wine, reaching its apotheosis in the second half of the nineteenth century early twentieth century, time when phylloxera (insect that attacks the grapevines) arrive in Viver (1915), causing an economic crisis and the gradual disappearance of the culture of growing grapes and making wine.

At productive or economic level, the botanist Cavanilles, says it is prodigious number of vineyards. This statement corroborates the importance of existing wine cubes in the municipality. This great wine production should be distributed, so the same Cavanilles tells us that a third of the population was engaged to transport, so the Wine activity was the great economic axis around which grew the village, supported by the the Camino Real (Royal Path).

Map with cube-winery existed in Viver

Go to top

Map with cube-winery existed in Viver

 

 

 20  La Floresta

La Floresta

La Floresta es un parque natural y urbano de 40.000 metros cuadrados de extensión, situado en el singular cauce del barranco Hurón a su paso por la población. La acción de las aguas y las características geológicas del terreno, donde predomina la piedra arenisca (tosca) han configurado este insólito y sobrecogedor paraje, casi mágico. Se trata de un enorme hueco excavado en el terreno, de altísimas paredes rocosas, cubierto de una variada y frondosa vegetación, y surcado por hermosos saltos y cascadas de agua.

Históricamente, La Floresta fue un lugar salvaje, casi inaccesible; a modo de enorme foso, constituía un elemento defensivo primordial de la población, donde se construyeron las casas colgadas al feraz desfiladero del Hurón, hecho que le confiere hoy a Viver un pintoresco perfil urbano y paisajístico.

Pero esto no fue siempre así, parece ser que este lugar esconde los restos de una singular instalación de la época romana, un vivero de peces de agua dulce. Tanta ha sido la influencia de este hecho en el lugar que el mismo topónimo del municipio deriva de esta singular actividad, quedando constancia de ello en el escudo histórico de la Villa con la representación de unos peces sobre unas líneas de agua.

Durante los últimos años el municipio de Viver se ha volcado en la adecuación de este espacio para el uso y disfrute público del mismo, hoy constituye un importante recurso natural, de ocio y educativo al alcance de todos los ciudadanos.

Aunque en varias partes del reyno de Valencia hay moles considerables de piedra tosca, en ninguna se ven tantas como en las cercanías de Viver, señaladamente en el distrito llamado Floresta, donde se hallaerro de 200 palmos de altura, compuesto en otro tiempo de tierra, y hoy de tosca, desde la cumbre hasta más de 140 palmos de profundidad.
Cavanilles
Botánico y naturalista español. (1795)

La Floresta

Go to top

Follow us in:

   

Contact Us

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  +34 964 141 006
  +34 964 141 953
  Pza. Mayor del Palancia, 1
12460 Viver (Castellón) SPAIN